Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Necklace Project Days 68-74


I know I have been saying this for the last couple of week but I really think I am getting close to being finished with this project. And as I have been looking through the last dozen necklaces I have left there might be some that I just don't wear because I just never really cared for them or they are just not my style. Who knows, I could surprise myself and wear them all just to say I did. I know I am completely out of gold necklaces now. I think I only have about 4 more silver ones. Then a couple of beaded necklaces. The ones I am having the most problems figure out when to wear them are my ribbon necklaces. I think I will have to wear something with a collar with those.
So on to the necklaces I wore this week.
This necklace was really put together by accident. I had the chain for years but it was just so thick, long, and plain that I never wore it. In fact I used it as an extender for a prism I had hanging in my window for years. Then I bought this pendant at Michael's or Hobby Lobby. It is hollow with rhinestones on the inside with an intricate metal work over the top. It was such a bulky pendant that I felt like putting it on a slimmer chain would not have the right proportions and adding anything else to it would make it too busy. So the pendant sat in my bead draw for a while. Then one day I was just trying to clean out the stuff in my desk and remembered the thick chain I had been using in the window and boom, the necklace was created.

I got this necklace from my friend Stephanie this last Christmas. It is another one of those necklaces that I wouldn't normally chose for myself, but now that I have it I like it. It is long but very light because it is made of aluminum with plastic beads.
A few years ago I bought a subscription to a jewelry kit of the month club. It came with some tools I already had and a new piece of jewelry to make each month. I figured I might learn new techniques and come out with some new pieces. This is the only piece I made that I actually kept. I think I only completed one other, cancelled the subscription, and gave the other kit away.  The reason I kept this piece was because those are freshwater pearls and it was a different piece that I don't have many like it. I also like the earrings that go along with this necklace because they are long and fun to wear.

I love this necklace mainly because of who made it for me. My best friends mother made this for me while we were still in high school. She had taught herself how to make rosaries and wanted to make one for me but since I am not Catholic and wouldn't have much use for one so made me this necklace. This sweet lady lost her battle with breast cancer a few years ago and now this is a wonder reminder of how wonderful she was to me. I don't wear it very often because I need to add a couple of links to it. But I think once I get those added I will probably wear it a lot.

I cannot remember where or when I bought this necklace. It was probably some clearance item or I needed it for some outfit. My Mom asked me when I got it and I really couldn't think of where it was. I don't wear this one very often because it gets caught in my hair. But once I fix that I might wear it more.

I think this is the last necklace made with the net stitch that I have. I made it when I was in high school when I first learned how to do bead weaving. I made it with a tortuous shell patterned beads, which means different shades of brown that are put together randomly which is really hard for me because I don't do random well. I used to have a small glass pendant on this necklace be took it off because the necklace tends to twist around my neck so sometime the clasp ends up in the front and the pendant would be in the back. So I figured I didn't need it.

This is one of my best thrifty jewelry purchases. I bought this necklace and ring set at a yard sale for $5 for both. They are Avon and have lapis semi precious stone in the middle. Up until yesterday I didn't have earrings that would go with it. I would usually just wear some silver earrings. So yesterday I found that I had some lapis beads and made myself some simple earrings.

No comments: